[OS X Emacs] synctex in Aquamacs

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Mon Jul 28 15:08:38 EDT 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 28.07.2008 um 19:33 schrieb Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD:
>
>> In order to use synctex (replacement to pdfsync), one needs to add
>> the option --synctex when calling latex.
>>
>> How do you set this as a default behavior in Aquamacs?
>

> There are variables like LaTeX-command and LaTeX-run-command,
> defined in different ELisp files, and there is the big AUCTeX
> variable TeX-command-list. I'd customise this one that the *tex
> commands all use the synctex option.

I have to admit that I've don't this kind of thing before, but I'm
concerned that an update would wipe out a change in such a file. I was
hoping this was a "preferences" way that would probably be be
maintained between versions, and easier for a lisp ignoramus like me.
I'm sure there is one, but I didn't find the path to see 'pdflatex' to
'pdflatex --synctex'. I'm sure it's in there... somewhere.

> Anyway, I'm sure AUCTeX will come up with a new version around the
> release of TeX Live 2008 to support this new feature. Have you sent
> an eMail to the AUCTeX list?

No. As I'd split off to using Aquamacs and David's canned product,
I've tried not to stick my nose into the details of editing lisp
files, etc. After some time, I realized that while I could on
occasion, I was often doing myself more harm than good. I've had quite
a few maddening days trying to undue damage I had self-inflicted.