[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Emacs 1.4rc1 [tabs]

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 23:38:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Stephen R Anderson <sra at yale.edu> wrote:

> I really like the new tabs feature.

Thanks for the feedback!  Suggestions on how to improve the interface are
welcome.

> But I can't figure out just how it's supposed to work.  In particular, when
> I open a new tab and then try to put a buffer on it, I windup with yet
> another tab, and the first one empty.

We don't have any real documentation to help you out yet, so I'll quote a
recent answer I gave to a similar question:

"In our implementation, a tab is not a container the way a window is.
Rather, it's a handle for a particular buffer (i.e. tabs are a UI for
handling several buffers, not for managing multiple windows).  You can't
open a file in an existing tab.  In order to have files open with a tab in
the current window, make sure you've got Show Tabs checked and Pop Up Other
Buffers in Frames unchecked.  [Both are in the Options menu.]

"In short, Show Tabs doesn't change which window/frame a buffer appears in;
it just creates a tab in the tab bar for each buffer as it appears in any
given window.  I hope that helps."

--Nathaniel