[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 1.4 RC2 performance

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 05:17:44 EDT 2008

On 11 Jun 2008, at 09:11, Sebastjan Trepca wrote:

> Gnu Emacs is super fast.

OK, then let's debug this a little further.

The steps to debug such problems are usually the same, so I'll keep
posting this to the mailing list.

Start Aquamacs with -q, which will disable all your personal
settings.  From a shell, enter

"/Applications/Aquamacs Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs Emacs" -q

Can you reproduce the problem now?
If the problem is gone, it has to do with your personal settings or
plugins.
Remove them, one by one (or half of them, in a binary search fashion)
to isolate the problem.
If you have a plugin such as the ECE Plugin installed, remove it.  It
will be in ~/Library/Application Support/Aquamacs Emacs, or in a
similar place in the system-wide /Library or in (~)/Library/
Application Support/Emacs.

If the problem is still there, you need to describe, step by step, how
to reproduce it.  Describe every input you make, literally.  Do not
expect me or anyone to know the mode you're using, or even what it
does.  There are hundreds of Emacs packages out there and even if many
of them are included in Aquamacs, we do not necessarily know how to
operate them.

Also, start Aquamacs like this:

"/Applications/Aquamacs Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs Emacs" -Q

This will start Aquamacs in a mode that will disable most of the
Aquamacs-specific settings.  You will find that the use is very
different from what you are used to. It is more similar to GNU Emacs.
Can you reproduce the problem?
If so, then it is a bug that is likely to be present in GNU Emacs.

Thanks for your help.

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!