[OS X Emacs] emacs and latex on iPhone?

Lindsay Stirton lindsay.stirton at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 14:37:11 EDT 2008

Don't get me wrong, I love emacs. But I don't think you are right when
ou say that it comes down simply to whether one does any typing on the
iPhone keyboard. Contrary to your (Mark's) assertion that is a kind of
all-or-nothing decision, I think there is always a trade-off between the
advantages and disadvantages of keyboard versus point-and-click as a
method of input, and what is optimal on a full-size keyboard is not
necessarily optimal on the iPhone software keyboard, even if both are
feasible.

That said, if vi has been ported, I think it should be easy to port
emacs, if no one has done it already. Apparently there is a jailbroken
terminal.app for iPhone. If you care to jailbreak your iPhone you could
presumably install emacs and run it in terminal. I don't know how easy
it would be to build a gui emacs, but here are instructions to build
carbon emacs.

http://michaelobrien.info/blog/2007/10/emacs.app-on-mac-os-x-leopard

If you don't fancy it, I dare say it is only a matter of time before
someone does it. I still think an iphone version of TextMate might be
the way to go.

Lindsay