[OS X Emacs] emacs and latex on iPhone?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:50:41 EDT 2008

On 11 Jun 2008, at 19:37, Lindsay Stirton wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I love emacs. But I don't think you are right
> when ou say that it comes down simply to whether one does any typing
> on the iPhone keyboard. Contrary to your (Mark's) assertion that is
> a kind of all-or-nothing decision, I think there is always a trade-
> off between the advantages and disadvantages of keyboard versus
> point-and-click as a method of input, and what is optimal on a full-
> size keyboard is not necessarily optimal on the iPhone software
> keyboard, even if both are feasible.

Compiling can probably be done: people have built Emacs on ARM
machines before, e.g.,

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Emacs_and_EmacsWikiMode_on_PDAs

My guess is that building Emacs on the iPhone would work (and take a
day or so).  You can then SSH into your iPhone and use it, or maybe
even use
a terminal app on the iPhone.

> That said, if vi has been ported, I think it should be easy to port
> emacs, if no one has done it already.

I don't follow your logic.
How do vi's dependencies (and general underlying technology) indicate
anything about Emacs' dependencies?

> I don't know how easy it would be to build a gui emacs, but here are
> instructions to build carbon emacs.

A brief look at the SDK will tell you that the iPhone provides a
derivative of Cocoa (called "Cocoa Touch"), but no Carbon.
And it wouldn't make sense, either.  The iPhone has a UI that is
rather different from anything you do with Carbon (menus, dialogs,
etc.!)