[OS X Emacs] aquamacs scratch buffer

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Wed May 14 17:07:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Ivan Werning <iwerning at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 14, 2008, at 9:31 AM, David Reitter wrote:
>>

>> Have you tried inserting a (kill-buffer) into your Preferences.el file?
>>

> This didn't work. I put it as the first line and got an error next time I
> opened.

putting
(kill-buffer "*scratch*")
into Preferences.el worked for me.  (The *Messages* buffer is then the only
existing buffer, so it will be visible until another file is opened, if you
launch Aquamacs without opening a file.)

> (desktop-save-mode 1)

This seems to work somewhat, but I'm not sure if it does correctly or as
> intended.
>  <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.macintosh.osx>

Sounds like desktop-save-mode is working as expected.  You only get queried
once about saving the desktop file; subsequently it will use the same file
to save buffer settings, without asking you.

desktop-save-mode keeps track of buffers (and some global variables) between
sessions, but it doesn't really know about frames.

--Nathaniel