[OS X Emacs] hard line fill problem

Ivan Werning iwerning at gmail.com
Tue May 20 16:23:07 EDT 2008

I am having trouble with my hard line auto fill. I use the latest
Aquamacs.

I have the hard line autofill set on Hard Word wrap automatically.
However, whenever I open a file and start typing a paragraph, or hit
Option+q to refill an old paragraph, it seems to do the fill with the
wrong number of characters per line, it goes to about 50. If I then
toggle the hard word wrap auto fill off and then back on, I get the
expected behavior of around 72 lines.

What is going on? I definitely never had this problem before. Please
help!

I do have
  '(text-mode-hook (quote (turn-on-flyspell turn-on-auto-fill)))
in my customization.el file, which I did not set manually but rather
by going to the text-mode-hook option was set by editing the relevant
customization option. But this happened even without the "turn-on-auto-
fill" or the "turn-on-flyspell". That is, it happens even if I remove
this line from customization.el (aquamacs sets auto fill as default),
or equivalently go through the customization options that does that.

-Ivan