[OS X Emacs] Emacs make-frame-on-display not working

pdfinn at uwm.edu pdfinn at uwm.edu
Tue Nov 4 12:35:16 EST 2008

Thanks for the reply, and suggestions!

At Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:18:46 +0100,
Peter Dyballa wrote:

> SSH is IMO a one-way
> street: an X client on the remote computer is allowed to use your
> local X server (I think the -L option of ssh would allow your local
> client access to the remote server).

So if I understand you rightly, the correct procedure for enabling a
local Emacs to project frames on a remote display (after setting the
xhost list) is to establish a ssh tunnel forwarding the X11 port from
the local to the remote computer using something like:

ssh -XL 6000:remoteHost:6000 -l user -N remoteHost

And this will avoid messing around with the DISPLAY environmental
variable on the remote computer?

Am I correct in thinking this /does not/ require an opening in the OSX
firewall for port 6000, since ssh catch the packets before they are
filtered?

Thanks!
Peter