[OS X Emacs] interactive spellchecking ?

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 09:44:09 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary <
fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp> wrote:

> Nathaniel,
> Thanks for the information.
> Bonus question: what is the process that would have had me discover that
> myself ?

Here was the sequence that led me to it:

-Turn on "check spelling as you type"
-put the mouse cursor over a misspelled/underlined word
-since right-click (mouse 3) gives the list of possible corrections, find
what command it runs: C-h k <mouse-3>.  The result: flyspell-correct-word
-try M-x flyspell-correct-word.  Doesn't work; requires a mouse event.
-click in the Help buffer on `flyspell.el' to see the source code for this
-see that flyspell-correct-word simply sets point (temporarily) to the
location of the mouse click, then calls flyspell-correct-word-before-point
-try M-x flyspell-correct-word-before-point.  Success!
-use C-h f flyspell-correct-word-before-point to see if it has a keyboard
binding, and it does.