[OS X Emacs] Re: MacOSX-Emacs Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

Roland Whitehead rolandw at mac.com
Fri Nov 14 03:21:53 EST 2008

Thomas, David,

On 13 Nov 2008, at 20:00, in macosx-emacs-request at email.esm.psu.edu
you wrote:

> I have the subsequent two commands in my preferences file
> (setq text-mode-hook (quote (turn-off-auto-fill)))
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)
> and the subsequent
> (unless (fboundp 'auto-detect-longlines) (defun auto-detect-longlines
> () t))

> Easy, because there's a customization variable.
> (setq auto-word-wrap-default-function 'turn-on-word-wrap)
> in your Preferences.el, or you use a customization buffer to set this
> to `turn-on-word-wrap'.
> The other solution posted will work, but it will not turn on soft word
> wrap, and it disables Aquamacs' ability to recognize files that should
> have auto-fill enabled.

Many many thanks for your suggestions, both of you. David, yours was
interesting because I had already tried that in the Aquamacs
Preferences and had no change at all. I tried adding the line to my
preferences.el and that didn't make much difference either.

So I stepped back to Thomas's suggestion and added it all in to my
preferences.el file (the line "  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could
mess it up, so be careful." in customizations.el keeps me away!) and
it does what I think it should do.

I'm going to have another go with David's suggestion on a vanilla
install of my favourite ext editor. If it doesn't work there then
perhaps something is overriding it elsewhere in the Aquamacs
preferences stack.

Many thanks

Somerset House, Strand, London, WC2R 1LA
T: +44 20 7836 0731 DDI: +44 20 7193 1753 M: +44 7768 362669 F: +44
8701 339395

Registered in England, No. 6144918, at Millmead, RH20 2LA.