[OS X Emacs] Dynamic window positioning in Aquamacs

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 22:39:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM, David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com>wrote:

> What do others think? How valuable would it be for Mac users to not show
> *scratch* in Aquamacs, perhaps by default, and make this behavior optional?

I think this is a good idea.  I used emacs for years before I found any use
whatever for a *scratch* buffer.  From the standpoint of evaluating scraps
of elisp, it's handy, but no more so than an "untitled" buffer (e.g. it's
not in emacs-lisp-mode by default).  The main benefit of Aquamacs' current
implementation is the persistent scratch buffer, but that's only sometimes
useful, and not much effort is required to save/load a document when
persistence is desired.  When one doesn't want, or doesn't expect, a
*scratch* buffer, it can be off-putting, too.  As long as it is optional, it
will still be available for those who desire it.

--Nathaniel