[OS X Emacs] Help getting rid of Toolbar Preview icon; thinner titlebar wanted

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 16:22:50 EDT 2008

On 11 Sep 2008, at 15:52, Christopher Menzel wrote:

> I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the "Preview
> Here" toolbar icon when I'm editing a LaTeX file in Aquamacs Emacs.
> I have toggled all of the toolbar icon options in the Aquamacs
> Options group to off and have searched fruitlessly among the LaTeX
> and Preview options, but this one icon remains: http://cmenzel.org/cp.tiff
>  .

Well that's some AUCTeX stuff where they probably don't use a normal
keymap to define the tool bar.

To come up with an answer, I did this on the emacs lisp source code
(comes with the Aquamacs .app bundle, in Resources/site-lisp):

grep "Preview Here" -r *

Now I saw where this icon was defined (prv-emacs.el):

(defun preview-mode-setup ()
   "Setup proper buffer hooks and behavior for previews."
   (set (make-local-variable 'desktop-save-buffer)
        #'desktop-buffer-preview-misc-data)
   (add-hook 'pre-command-hook #'preview-mark-point nil t)
   (add-hook 'post-command-hook #'preview-move-point nil t)
   (easy-menu-add preview-menu LaTeX-mode-map)
   (unless preview-tb-icon
     (setq preview-tb-icon (preview-filter-specs preview-tb-icon-
specs)))
   (when preview-tb-icon
     (define-key LaTeX-mode-map [tool-bar preview]
       `(menu-item "Preview Here" preview-at-point
		  :image ,preview-tb-icon
		  :help "Preview on/off at point")))

Ah, so there's a convenient `preview-tb-icon' variable, but we can't
just set it to nil.

So, let's try to remove the icon after it was added.  That's really
easy:

(define-key LaTeX-mode-map [tool-bar preview]  nil)

Now we just need to do this after entering latex-mode:

(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook (lambda ()
	(define-key LaTeX-mode-map [tool-bar preview]  nil)))

The last bit is untested - try it out!

> Also, in earlier versions (I'm using 1.4 after trying the 1.5 RC),
> not only was I able (somehow) to get rid of this icon, I was also
> able to get the titlebar to be nice and thin, as in a Terminal.app
> window.  What I get in HTML and other modes is this one: http://cmenzel.org/FatTitleBar.tiff
>  , with a lot of grey between the window buttons and the top of the
> text area that makes the titlebar twice as thick as it needs to be.

When I toggle my tool bar with the toolbar toggle button, I get what
is shown in the attached screenshot.  Looks good to me.
You seem to be taking out all of the icons instead, is that right?

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!