[OS X Emacs] cursor getting stuck

C. R. Oldham cro at ncbt.org
Thu Sep 25 11:30:20 EDT 2008

David,

> Does this go away when you turn off visual-line-mode?

Yes.

> I'd be able to fix this problem if you gave a step-by-step, minimal
> example to reproduce.  I would think that only one of your packages
> is sufficient to reproduce.
> I expect this to be related to some hidden chunks of text in the
> buffer.

OK, I've narrowed it down to something having to do with ECB.  I took
everything out of my Preferences.el except the ECB startup code, and I
see the warping cursor behavior in most buffers when I start ECB.

In case you don't know, ECB is at

http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

which has some special install instructions at

Installation

So what I did to test was start Emacs, start ECB with M-x ecb-
activate, and C-x C-f to open my Preferences.el.  Scrolling around in
the Preferences.el buffer results in strange point behavior (warping
to different windows, bouncing around or getting "stuck" in code
blocks).

Is that a minimal enough report?

And is the correct "fix" simply to set the visual-line-mode global to
nil in Preferences.el?

--cro