[OS X Emacs] cursor getting stuck

Tom Van Vleck thvv at multicians.org
Thu Sep 25 13:10:11 EDT 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 11:52 AM, David Reitter wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2008, at 11:30, C. R. Oldham wrote:
>> And is the correct "fix" simply to set the visual-line-mode global
>> to nil in Preferences.el?
>
> It's a workaround... You'll lose some functionality.

Changing the function of C-k will break macros, as well as
my ~30 year emacs habits.  So I want to revert this change.
I would rather that changes to the basic behavior of emacs be
opt-in, rather than "what has the new release of Aquamacs broken
and how can I restore it."  By all means experiment with how
to extend emacs to work nicer on the Mac, e.g. add command-whatever
behavior .. but require overt action to change the effect of
fundamental emacs behavior.

I tried disabling visual-line mode in an HTML mode buffer by typing
  M-x visual-line-mode
and got the message in the minibuffer
  visual-line-mode disabled
and C-k seems to kill the whole line even if wrapped,
but the modeline still shows (HTML vl).  Should it change?

C-h v global-visual-line-mode
brings up some help. That help points to "Easy Customization."
That topic, in turn, suggests looking at "Variable Index."
There is no mention of global-visual-line-mode or visual-line-mode
in that index.  Is this an oversight?

I seem to have gotten rid of vl mode by using "customize."