[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 2.0preview2: bug in setting kill ring

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 19:10:07 EDT 2009

Carsten, Stefan,

On Aug 15, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Stefan Vollmar wrote:

> Carsten Dominik, org-mode's main author, kindly looked into this
> problem and finds:
>
>> In Aquamacs Distribution 2.0preview2, at least the following commands
>> fail to set the kill ring appropriately:
>>
>>   (copy-region-as-kill beg end)
>>   (kill-region beg end)
>>
>> After these commands, in normal Emacs operations,
>>
>>   (current-kill 0)
>>
>> will return the content of the copied/killed region.  Not so
>> in Aquamacs.  This breaks Org-mode and presumably other
>> packages that will use these function calls.

`current-kill' is documented to inspect `interprogram-paste-function'
and essentially return its return value if set.
There is no guarantee that copy-region-as-kill will set the
interprogram copy/paste text (it depends on `interprogram-cut-
function'), and indeed in Aquamacs 2.0preview2 it doesn't always do
so.  Thus, (current-kill 0) will do something that doesn't really make
sense.

That said, my argument is a little contrived, and interprogram-cut/
paste-function should really be coherent.  I have changed that now in
Aquamacs so that it shouldn't break org-mode any longer.

Thanks for investigating this.

- David