[OS X Emacs] OSX Keyboard left/right meta

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:08:38 EST 2009

On Dec 20, 2009, at 4:54 PM, Jan Moellers wrote:
> So a question to the experts who implemented this: Is it possible to have this discrimination system wide? According to http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2002/tn2056.html,
> keyboard layouts should support the discrimination, however it seems not to work.

Aquamacs in an application; it does not alter the system, providing system-wide functionality (beyond Services as in Aquamacs 1.x).

Introducing this distinction, for example as in the Modifier remapping in the System Preferences panel, or in order to produce more keyboard shortcuts, would be something that would have to be implemented as a hack (and separate tool), or by Apple in OS X.   Generally, OS X does supply information to all applications about which modifier key was used, and this is the mechanism that Aquamacs uses to distinguish the keys.

If I misunderstood "system-wide", please explain - otherwise I hope that helps as an answer.