[OS X Emacs] Tab mode in Aquamacs Emacs 1.7preview-1

Tom Van Vleck thvv at multicians.org
Wed Feb 11 10:09:06 EST 2009

The new Aquamacs 1.7 preview's tabs mode
still behaves inconsistently.

I have OBOF mode off, show tabs mode on.

I did this:
open three files, each with a tab on the tab bar.
C-x-2 to split the current window
    The upper windowpane has a tab bar.  The lower
    pane does not.  It displays one of the files.

C-x-o to switch to the lower windowpane
C-x-f filename4 to open a new file
    Now I have a tab bar in each windowpane.

    If I hit the lower pane's close button on the tab
    for the file that has a tab in both windowpanes,
    the lower pane's tab bar vanishes.

C-x-f filename2 with the cursor in the lower pane,
    naming a file with a tab in the upper pane, will
    switch to the upper pane, and display the file,
    switching tabs if necessary. It doesn't open
    a tab bar in the lower pane.  (I was surprised.)

C-x-f filename5 with the cursor in the lower pane,
    naming a file with NO tab in the upper pane, will
    create a tab bar in the lower pane, and display the file.

C-x-f filename2 with the cursor in the lower pane,
    naming a file with a tab both panes, will
    switch to the upper pane, and display the file,
    switching tabs if necessary, even if the cursor
    was in filename2 in the lower pane.  (Surprising.)

C-x-0 will close the split and display one file.
    A tab bar will show or not, depending on whether
    the pane that was not closed had a tab bar or not.
    (I think it should show a tab bar with the remaining
    open files.)  If there is no tab bar, the Window menu
    still shows the other files that have buffers, and
    selecting them will cause tabs to return one by one.

I have not tried more than one split.