[OS X Emacs] turn-on-auto-fill not working

Patrick May pjm at spe.com
Fri Feb 27 15:44:07 EST 2009

On 27 Feb 2009, at 12:19, David Reitter wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On 26 Feb 2009, at 17:24, Patrick May wrote:
>
>> 	I just upgraded to 1.7 and it appears that turn-on-auto-fill isn't
>> working.  I have the following lines in my .emacs:
>>
>> ;; default to text mode
>> (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
>>
>> ;; set word wrap in text mode
>> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>> (set-fill-column 72)
>
> Settings in ~/.emacs may be overwritten by customization settings
> defined in Emacs; `text-mode-hook' is one of these customization
> settings.  The difference in Aquamacs vs. Emacs is that Aquamacs
> saves customization settings not at the end of ~/.emacs where they
> are in plain sight, but in a file called customizations.el.
>
> You can either change text-mode-hook through the customization
> interface, or simply move your code to the Preferences.el file,
> which is designed to contain your own Lisp code settings.  These
> will override the customizations.

	Thanks.  Out of curiosity, what is the reason for these extra files?
I don't really mind making the changes there, but it does make it
difficult to use the same .emacs file on multiple platforms.

Regards,

Patrick

----
pjm at spe.com
S P Engineering, Inc.
Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO systems design and
implementation.
(C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, middleware, SOA)