[OS X Emacs] (does anyone here have knowledge of the) interaction between clipboard and kill-ring?

Michael Gilbert mcg at gilbert.org
Wed Jul 15 03:08:04 EDT 2009

On Jul 14,2009, at 8:15 PM, Nathaniel Cunningham wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Michael Gilbert <mcg at gilbert.org>
> wrote:
>
> Can anyone comment on how the kill-ring and clipboard interact? Or
> how I might further investigate this problem?
>

> I don't know what's going on in detail, but Aquamacs is using the
> system clipboard for pasting = yanking.  From the directory Aquamacs
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/,
> grep -r "yank" . or similar ("clipboard", "kill-ring") brings up
> several likely candidates.  There is some cut-and-paste support
> coded into site-lisp/macosx/osxkeys.el, maybe that will help.

Thank you, Nathaniel. That got me looking. Using C-h v kill-ring, I
viewed its contents. A bit hard to read, but from what it looks like
there is some sort of weird interlacing of the Mac OS clipboard and
regular kill-ring contents.  BUT I know for a fact stuff is NOT
getting killed into the clipboard, since I can look at the clipboard
contents (or paste it elsewhere) and it's the last thing Cut or
Copied, not the thing that was killed in Aquamacs.

I am very confused.

-- Michael