[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 2.0 icon survey - results

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:03:03 EDT 2009

To those who participated in our icon survey: thank you.

The comments I received were diverse, and people picked a number of
favorites.  However, the clear winner at this point is the current
(Aquamacs 1.x series) icon, the brown gnu (yak/horse) head.

Now, there are two things to consider regarding this survey:  due to
brand recognition, there must be a bias for the existing logo.
Second, asking existing users for a ranking does not directly tell us
what the best icon for a new Aquamacs is or which one would give us a
bigger user base.  With these points in mind, I asked you also for
your explanations in addition to a ranking.

Icon #6 is popular because it "stands out", i.e. is recognizable
compared to other icons in the Dock.  Among the prevalent criticisms
for icons 2-5 were that there is too much clutter, and that Mac icons
normally don't communicate a message via a word (such as "Aquamacs").

Regarding the icons showing a notepad, especially #1, many
participants expressed that they see Emacs / Aquamacs as so much more
than just a notepad or a text editor.  And while they sounded positive
about #1, they also pointed out that it is much less recognizable than
#6.

Thanks again for your feedback.  I will initiate a discussion about
the way forward on aquamacs-devel.  Join that mailing list to exchange
your ideas.

-  David Reitter

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!