[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Upgrade Loses Font Options

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 12:26:16 EDT 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Ken Mankoff wrote:
> I just upgraded from Aquamacs 1.5 (based on GNU Emacs 22.3.2) to
> Aqumacs 1.7 (based on 22.3.1). All my font face and theme options
> seem to be ignored.
>
> If I run the old version the colors I had chosen are used, so they
> are in the preferences file, they are just not being respected by
> the current version, or new defaults have been installed so my "use
> as default" isn't being defaulted to.

Ken, I had a look at the customization file you sent me off list.
(The file was corrupted, but I assume that this was your e-mail
program rather than anything else.)

I would recommend that you do M-x color-theme-select and choose the
desired color theme (I guess this is where the settings came from
originally).  You can save options, and the settings will be preserved.

The plethora of face settings set by color themes are not imported
from pre-1.6 versions, since they are no longer mode-specific (because
it doesn't make that much sense to set all those faces specifically in
major modes, even though only one major mode uses these faces in the
first place.)  Refer to the change log for a more detailed explanation.

Mode-specific frame parameters are imported, but to make it work users
may have to add this:

(defvar aquamacs-default-styles nil)

to the top of their customizations.el (or their .emacs - NOT
Preferences.el in this case).

Apologies for not being able to provide a perfectly smooth transition;
the technical improvement in version 1.6 didn't allow a complete
import given limited development resources.

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!