[OS X Emacs] Re: .Rnw files in Aquamacs font problem

Caroline Wiley carolinerhummel at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 24 03:39:25 EDT 2009

David Reitter <david.reitter <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 21, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Caroline Wiley wrote:
>
> > I have changed my default font and size to Monospace 14. I have been
> > using
> > Aquamacs for a very long time and only with the past 1.7 upgrade
> > have I had a
> > problem with the default font I set. In .Rnw files the font size will
> > sporadically change to 13 then back to 14. This makes it very
> > inconvenient for
> > scrolling. The font is stable for all other file types (.R, .tex)
> > and only seems
> > to be an issue with .Rnw. Any suggestions?
>
> I suspect that there is a mode-specific face in place for some of the
> major modes used within Rnw files.  If I remember correctly, Rnw does
> switch major modes for different parts of the buffer - is that right?
> If so, setting the face (Options / Appearance) for all fonts involved
> (R/ESS and latex I guess) to the same font / height should address the
> problem.
>
> --
> http://aquamacs.org -- Aquamacs: Emacs on Mac OS X
> http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
> support the Aquamacs Project!
> Attachment (smime.p7s): application/pkcs7-signature, 2193 bytes

Yes, .Rnw file switch between Latex-mode and ESS-mode. I've tried setting the
fonts for all major modes, but it does not appear to address the problem.
Additionally, in working with long .Rnw files, I'm running into freezing issues
keyboard instability, and it not recognizing the correct major mode within the
.Rnw file. If I close the file, then reopen, it seems to operate correctly for a
little, only to revert back to the same issues. Interestingly, when I switch to
another file in the buffer (like a .R) everything is fine. So it's definitely an
issue with .Rnw files only.

I reverted back to version 1.5 and all problems with the .Rnw files go away.