[OS X Emacs] Can't start gui when -nw is running

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat May 23 08:59:47 EDT 2009

    Pete> The latter is possible. By invoking '/Applications/Aquamacs\
    Pete> Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs\ Emacs [optional arguments] &'.

    Pete> Isn't this the way you launch it with -nw?

    me> I'm currently launching it from my Desktop launcher thingamabob.
    me> Maybe it's that which is goofing up and not allowing the gui version
    me> to start.  Thanks, I will try from a shell when I am back home.

After launching it from the dock I started it from the shell.  It did come
up but reported an error:

    ~% /Applications/Aquamacs\ Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs\ Emacs
    2009-05-23 06:46:49.454 Aquamacs Emacs[61133:10b] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x2007, name = 'org.gnu.AquamacsEmacs.ServiceProvider'
    See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.

If it wasn't already running, starting it from the shell produced no error
message.  According to the referenced include file, error 1100 is
"BOOTSTRAP_NOT_PRIVILEGED", which I guess jives pretty well with "Permission
denied."

Skip