[OS X Emacs] Returning to Emacs

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Apr 15 12:26:39 EDT 2010

Am 15.04.2010 um 17:19 schrieb David Frascone:

>   1. Not to start a flame war, but, now that Aquamacs is based on
> version
>   23, and cocoa-emacs is not going to be maintained any more, there
> are only
>   three viable emacsen to choose from: Aquamacs,
> http://emacsformacosx.com/and the emacs that comes on OS X in the
> terminal.  Is there a guide anywhere
>   showing the major differences?  For me, pretty much a noob to OS X
> emacs, I
>   only notice two major differences between Emacs.app and Aquamacs:
> Aquamacs
>   has tabs, and, Aquamacs uses CMD for meta, instead of Option.

There are also the X11 clients/variants. And MacPorts offers a rather
up-to-date X11 windows system. Which also has a built-in utility to
exchange text selections between the X11 and the Aqua world. X11 also
offers to launch GNU Emacs on the Linux boxes and display them in the
local X server on the local display and control them via local
keyboard and mouse or trackpad.

The tabs you see in Aquamacs work also in Carbon, Terminal, or X11
variants. The tabs are generated by tabbar.el.

--
Greetings

   Pete

We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised.