[OS X Emacs] crash & bugs in 2.0preview5

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 14:28:50 EDT 2010

Chris,

On Apr 16, 2010, at 1:59 PM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Where/how should I report them?

The Aquamacs web page describes the process:

http://aquamacs.org/reporting-bugs.shtml

(Steps 3 / 4 do not necessarily apply in your case.)

So, report bugs as step-by-step instructions to the aquamacs-bugs mailing list.  You don't need to subscribe to that list.

> - I clicked on the menu bar an Aquamacs an it just crashed. Only a once off, but still...

As a minimum, we will need the crash log for this.  ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ contains crash logs.

> - I had the following lines in my .emacs which causes Aquamacs to complain on startup:
>
> ; python.el re-configure
> (add-hook 'python-mode-hook '(lambda () (define-key python-mode-map "\C-m" 'newline-and-indent)))
> (add-hook 'python-mode-hook '(lambda () (define-key python-mode-map [S-return] 'newline)))
>
> File mode specification error: (void-variable python-mode-map)

The Aquamacs change log contains a partial answer: we have a new Python mode.
It turns out that this mode doesn't have the variable `python-mode-map'.

I had a look at the new mode for you (python-mode.el).   Inconsistently with Emacs traditions, they named the variable `py-mode-map' instead!

I have complained to the makers of python-mode.

> Warning: Bug in python-mode: it forgets to call `run-mode-hooks'

It's a bug in python-mode.
I have complained to the makers of python-mode.

This is a direct result of the python-mode bug:
> - when files open, they initially load in the wrong font, and then flip visibly to the correct font as soon as they've been rendered.

> If I comment that out, I get no warnings, but clicking on the Python (or any other...) menu item in the menu bar doesn't do anything.
> This appears to be a problem with full screen editing mode.

Please file a proper bug report.

> - when in non-full screen editing mode, the right scroll bar flickers insanely whenever I move the mouse

Known problem.  Checked in a fix just recently.  Please try a nightly build tomorrow and report back if works for you.

- David