[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Cursor movement and word wrapping: C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 21:56:17 EDT 2010

On Apr 22, 2010, at 9:39 PM, Tom Van Vleck wrote:

> Changing the meaning of C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p would make Aquamacs unusable for me.  It would break saved macros.  It would mean that these keystrokes meant different things depending on what machine I was logged into.  I would have to relearn editing skills I learned over 30 years ago.  I couldn't use Aquamacs if you changed this fundamental meaning.

Could you clarify please: do not change them from their Emacs 23 settings?
In Emacs 23, all of these apply to the visual line (visual-line-mode = soft word wrapping on).  That's what the commands do in Emacs 23.

This is different from Emacs 22, where C-a moved to the beginning of the (long) buffer line, no matter what the wrapping was.  Native word wrapping didn't exist (longlines-mode excluded).  When I introduced word wrapping in Emacs 22 in one of the Aquamacs 1.x versions, I took care to give C-a, C-e, C-n, C-p their meaning based on visual lines, based on user feedback.

So do I understand you correctly that you want the bindings to be same in 2.x and in 1.x, i.e. as in Emacs 23?
I'm confused as you mention macros, which seem to require buffer-based semantics.

> (In Aquamacs 1.9, C-h-k C-S-A pops up a help window that says that it is the same as C-a, but in fact it does something different: C-a goes to the beginning of a line but C-S-a goes to the beginning of the line and highlights from the old point to the beginning of the line.)

Right, I forgot about that, which means we'll have to use different bindings there. Thanks.