[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Cursor movement and word wrapping: C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p

Tom Van Vleck thvv at multicians.org
Thu Apr 22 21:39:22 EDT 2010

On Apr 22, 2010, at 6:54 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> Dear Aquamacs users,
>
> in future versions of Aquamacs, would you like the C-e, C-a, C-n, C-
> p move according to buffer lines, or according to visual lines?
> Note that these are different things when soft word wrapping is
> turned on.
>
> In such a case, if they moved by buffer lines, then C-a would move
> to the beginning of the paragraph (i.e. the long buffer line that is
> displayed wrapped), and analogously for the other key commands.
>
> It may be less surprising for people if C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p acted on
> visually displayed lines.
>
> We can then provide extra bindings for the buffer lines, probably C-
> E, C-A, C-N, C-P.
>
> Your input would be appreciated.

I would prefer this not change.

Changing the meaning of C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p would make Aquamacs
unusable for me.  It would break saved macros.  It would mean that
these keystrokes meant different things depending on what machine I
was logged into.  I would have to relearn editing skills I learned
over 30 years ago.  I couldn't use Aquamacs if you changed this
fundamental meaning.

You tried this once, and people complained, and you changed it back.
I thought this idea had been put to rest.

If you wish to bind new keys that have no current meaning, go for it.

(In Aquamacs 1.9, C-h-k C-S-A pops up a help window that says that it
is the same as C-a, but in fact it does something different: C-a goes
to the beginning of a line but C-S-a goes to the beginning of the line
and highlights from the old point to the beginning of the line.)

In August of 2008, I wrote regarding the change to Control-left and
Control-right: