[OS X Emacs] Re: Aquamacs Cursor movement and word wrapping: C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 15:16:00 EDT 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 1:49 PM, Howard Melman wrote:

> Please make it work based on visual line. This is what emacs has done
> for decades (long before there was soft wrapping).

Incorrect - see broken lines (i.e., not truncated ones) in Emacs 22.  Cursor movement is by buffer lines.

It was only in Emacs 23 that this changed.

> backwards-paragraph can move to the beginning of a paragraph
> nothing else would move to the beginning of a visual line.

Good point.

MA, Tom, Art, do you guys use the visual-line-mode with soft word wrapping much?

I also want to note that it would be relatively easy to condition the behavior on whether we're recording or executing a keyboard macro.  That may or may not be a good thing.

On Apr 23, 2010, at 12:19 PM, James Harkins wrote:

> I'd say, make it user-configurable and have the default match standard emacs behavior.

In that case, we'd move by visual lines (Emacs 23 behavior) in visual-line-mode unless configured.