[OS X Emacs] native spellcheck?

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 23:11:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Michael Gilbert <mcg at gilbert.org> wrote:

> Pardon a newbie's query... The "Features" page at the Aquamacs site reads
> "Spell-Checking. Aquamacs spell-checks your documents with the OS X
> spell-checker, supporting more than a hundred languages and system-wide user
> dictionaries." I just tested this with a word that was learned by the Mac OS
> dictionary (the name of the organization I work with). In TextEdit or Mail
> (native spellcheck aware apps), the word shows up unmarked. But in Aquamacs,
> (nightly build from a few days back), it shows up marked. How should I
> approach troubleshooting this?
>
> Michael,
It should work as you expect.  All I can suggest is: be sure you're using
the same language where you learned the words.

I just tried it with a recent nightly:  Using language English, any words
included (an odd number of times, i.e. not unlearned) in
~/Library/spelling/en are treated as correct by Cmd-;, ispell-buffer, and
flyspell-buffer.  One misspelling is properly marked as such; I spellchecked
and learned the same word in TextEdit (in English), and now Aquamacs treats
it as correct as well.

If it's still not working, let me know, and we'll try to debug further.

--Nathaniel