[OS X Emacs] various Aquamacs questions - init files and fonts

David Rogoff cs80 at therogoffs.com
Mon Jul 19 23:56:28 EDT 2010

Hi.

I've been using emacs/lemacs/xemacs/etc since 18.57 over 20 years ago,
but I'm always learning new stuff.  I recently got a Mac and started
using Aquamacs.  I also decided to dump xemacs and migrate to gnu 23 for
Linux use, which should make my init file (~/.emacs.d/init.el) work for
both.

I've seen some weird things in the editor related to fonts and my init file.

First, it's not reading my init file!  Any idea why?  I thought it was
because I had all my fonts and colors, but it was apparently just
init file from a previous run.  What other files does Aquamacs load on
startup for customization?

OK - I just looked at the *Messages* buffer and see this (just including
files from home directory):

(source)...done
Emacs/customizations.el (source)...done
(source)...done
No desktop file.
Emacs/frame-positions.el (source)...done

Why isn't Aquamacs using files in the home directory or ~/.emacs.d ?
I want to be able to switch back and forth with vanilla 23, but I don't
know if it's possible now.

Next, fonts seem really messed up.  Sometimes everything is in the nice,
fixed-width font that also works on Linux. Other times, all my buffers
are in different (usually proportional) fonts.   I can't
increase/decrease font size, either. If I try c-x, c-= or c-x,c-- I get
Wrong type arguement: listp, ((:height 1.2))
Doesn't Aquamacs support text-scale-adjust?

Should I just use the emacs from here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS ?   What is Aquamacs
getting me, other than some Mac keyboard bindings?

Thanks,

  David