[OS X Emacs] various Aquamacs questions - init files and fonts

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 02:58:55 EDT 2010

David,

On Jul 20, 2010, at 4:56 AM, David Rogoff wrote:

> What other files does Aquamacs load on startup for customization?
> Why isn't Aquamacs using files in the home directory or ~/.emacs.d ?

have you seen these?

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PreferencesInAquamacs
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AquamacsFAQ

Did you find the manual (Help menu)?

>  Sometimes everything is in the nice, fixed-width font that also works on Linux. Other times, all my buffers are in different (usually proportional) fonts.

See FAQ.

>  I can't increase/decrease font size, either. If I try c-x, c-= or c-x,c-- I get
> Wrong type arguement: listp, ((:height 1.2))
> Doesn't Aquamacs support text-scale-adjust?

A-+ and A-- work for me.  The above should work, too, but it appears there's a bug in GNU Emacs 23.  Often Emacs bugs appear in Aquamacs, because Aquamacs is using non-default configurations not present in GNU Emacs (or Emacs APIs that are not used in GNU Emacs.)

> Should I just use the emacs from here: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS ?   What is Aquamacs getting me, other than some Mac keyboard bindings?

This list is not exhaustive:

http://aquamacs.org/features.shtml

You may also be interested in this: