[OS X Emacs] various Aquamacs questions - init files and fonts

Bill Rising brising at mac.com
Tue Jul 20 13:18:56 EDT 2010

On Jul 20, 2010, at 7:03 , Jim Crossley wrote:

> Hi David, I had the same issues as you...
>
> David Rogoff <cs80 at therogoffs.com> writes:
>
>> First, it's not reading my init file!  Any idea why?  I thought it was
>> because I had all my fonts and colors, but it was apparently just
>> init file from a previous run.  What other files does Aquamacs load on
>> startup for customization?
>
> It will load your init files (~/.emacs, ~/.emacs.d/init.el), because it
> loads mine, but it does seem to prefer the init files beneath
> "~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs".  You could try blowing that
> away, I guess.  I think it'll restore what it needs if you do.
>
> [...]

Another (pretty simple) solution to this is to use soft links (symlinks) to allow both emacs to use the same init files. You can also use thinks like

  (if (boundp 'aquamacs-version)
	...aquamacs-specific stuff
    ... pure emacs-specific stuff

This is what I do for testing packages on multiple emacsen...

Bill