[OS X Emacs] Re: Can't Make Doc-View Work

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:40:49 EST 2010

On Mar 10, 2010, at 7:46 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> This is the old Savannah site from whose 23.x sources you can't build a "Carbon Emacs." What you have is either the X client or the Aqua/Cocoa variant from the configure option --with-ns.

--with-ns should be the default.

Note however that he's built from an old source that is likely to be of Dec 27 2009.

To get a current snapshot, the 23.2 prereleases should be used, or git or bzr from the new repository.

> After this NS (from NeXT's NeXTStep and later OpenStep/GNUstep, which mutated to Mac OS X's Cocoa) variant was compiled, did you invoke "sudo make install?" Are you using this installation's Emacs.app?

Well it wouldn't work at all with  a GUI without that.

I've had trouble with docview as well a while ago and decided to simply switch it off in Aquamacs for that reason.

If you got it to work, we should perhaps look at your build configuration (maybe you have some libraries that it links against).