[OS X Emacs] Re: Can't Make Doc-View Work

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Mar 10 19:46:56 EST 2010

Am 10.03.2010 um 21:30 schrieb John Mark Swafford:

>> Does this view switch when you type C-c C-c?
> Kind of... When I start in my main.tex file and press C-c C-c, .pdf
> code of
> my latex document open in another buffer.

Are you using AUCTeX here or GNU Emacs' own La/TeX-mode?

> When I switch to that buffer, and
> press C-c C-c what is [(DocView ht)]  changes to [(Fundamental
> DocView ht)].
> I believe this is changing from viewing to editing mode? When I
> press C-c
> C-c again to change back (from editing to viewing), I do get this:
> Wrong
> type argument, stringp nil.

The mode identifier is a bit strange, having this "ht" in it... Maybe
it's caused from the message "Wrong
type argument, stringp nil." This is likely to indicate that your
Emacs uses presumingly old Lisp files. It might help when you'd give
us the configuration information from the *Mail* buffer after starting
to report an Emacs bug.

How did you install Emacs?

>> With "Carbon Emacs 23.1.90" you probably mean the "AppKit Emacs"
>> by YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu, don't you?
> I mean the build of Emacs I checked out using this: cvs -z3
> -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sv.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs. I
> configured
> and built this version and that's what I'm having a problem with.

This is the old Savannah site from whose 23.x sources you can't build
a "Carbon Emacs." What you have is either the X client or the Aqua/
Cocoa variant from the configure option --with-ns.

After this NS (from NeXT's NeXTStep and later OpenStep/GNUstep, which
mutated to Mac OS X's Cocoa) variant was compiled, did you invoke
"sudo make install?" Are you using this installation's Emacs.app?

--
Greetings

   Pete

If it dies, it's biology.  If it blows up, it's chemistry. If it
doesn't work, it's physics.
			– University washroom sgraffito