[OS X Emacs] Re: Can't Make Doc-View Work

John Mark Swafford johnmarksuave at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 15:30:01 EST 2010

>> I've been struggling with Doc-View mode and getting it to open
>> and .pdf or
>> .dvi file appropriately. I'm running OS X 10.5 with Carbon Emacs
>> 23.1.90. I
>> can open .dvi and .pdf files, but all I see is the image's code.

> Do you see the string "DocView" appear in mode-line?
Yes.

> Does this view switch when you type C-c C-c?
Kind of... When I start in my main.tex file and press C-c C-c, .pdf code of
my latex document open in another buffer. When I switch to that buffer, and
press C-c C-c what is [(DocView ht)]  changes to [(Fundamental DocView ht)].
I believe this is changing from viewing to editing mode? When I press C-c
C-c again to change back (from editing to viewing), I do get this: Wrong
type argument, stringp nil. This is new to me as I hadn't tried this
switching before.

> Did you try to use Doc-view in an Emacs you launched with -q, i.e., with
no personal configuration?
Yes. I moved my .emacs and .elisp files so they Emacs wouldn't pick them up
and tried to compile my main.tex file again. With a fresh Emacs I still have
the same problems.

> With "Carbon Emacs 23.1.90" you probably mean the "AppKit Emacs"
by YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu, don't you?
I mean the build of Emacs I checked out using this: cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sv.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs. I configured
and built this version and that's what I'm having a problem with.

Thanks for your help, Pete!

Kind Regards,
John Mark Swafford