[OS X Emacs] Re: Re: Can't Make Doc-View Work

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Mar 12 14:26:01 EST 2010

Am 12.03.2010 um 00:37 schrieb John Mark Swafford:

> ./configure --with-gif=no --with-ns
> make
> make install
> sudo cp -r nextstep/Emacs.app /Applications/Emacs.app

The last step has possibly three faults:

  1) the sudo
  2) the 'cp -r'
  3) the '/Applications/Emacs.app' target

Final step 1 is *not* needed. When you're allowed to sudo then you're
automatically, I think, member of the group admin and therefore have
write privileges in /Applications. I am member and I can easily drag
things into /Applications or remove other things from there.

Final step 2 looks like a command which might work correctly. I have
my doubts, based on heuristics gained somewhen in the last, maybe, ten
years. I'd drag Emacs.app to /Applications:

	open nextstep
	open /Applications
	« delete old Emacs.app in Applications »
	« drag Emacs.app from nextstep to Applications »

Final step 3 is definitely wrong! You can overwrite the old software,
however this is the source for a cascade of faults. It's not
guaranteed that old files are removed. It's not guaranteed that a file
with the same name is moved into another sub-directory as it has
happened in the new source, with the effect that now two files of
different revision exist in Emacs' load-path.

When you install the new version of an application then this
"application bundle" has means to first move the old version into the
trash can. Then it "installs" itself in /Applications. You have to
mimic this on the command line, i.e., after 'make install' a '(sudo)
rm -rf /Applications/Emacs.app' has to happen. Or just drag...

> When I have a .tex document open, it says [(LaTeX ht Fill)] in the
> mode-line.

The 'ht' snippet is definitely incorrect. Then the whole Emacs.app
cannot be right.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.
				– Ernest Jan Plugge