[OS X Emacs] Re: Re: Can't Make Doc-View Work

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Mar 12 03:43:15 EST 2010

On  11 Mar, 2010, at 17:37, John Mark Swafford wrote:

> [...]
>
> >Are you using AUCTeX here or GNU Emacs' own La/TeX-mode?
>
> I'm not positive...

As you built your Emacs and haven't installed AucTeX, then you're using Emacs' LaTeX mode.

> [...] I'll try and install AUCTeX and see what happens when I do that.

Just a few advices:

Installing AucTeX on the Mac is not as straightforward as on Debian, for example, where with just

./configure
make            ;; and, becoming root,
make install    ;; But see below

you're done. First, on the Mac, configure will find Apple installed Emacs in /usr/bin, not the Emacs.app in /Applications, so you have to configure

--with-emacs=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

but then it won't find the proper site-lisp, so you have to use also the option

--with-lispdir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp

Finally, and this *also* happens in Debian, for example, AucTeX will install preview.sty and related files in

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf/tex/latex

(that is, if you're using TeXLive 2009). But tlmgr (TeXLive manager), or it's front-end TeX Live Utility, installs preview.sty and related files in

/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex

So, to avoid this, you can make AucTeX to install these files within Emacs for its private use:

--without-texmf-dir

See the documentation ``INSTALL'' for these and other options.

I would advice you to make a copy of your Emacs.app and keep it around until you're satisfied with your Emacs with AucTeX.

Best,

Axel