[OS X Emacs] Turn off *scratch* buffer when Aquamacs starts

Harsha Attanayake ha298508 at ohio.edu
Wed May 19 13:28:48 EDT 2010

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes that I have been doing.
Now I took off the line in my .cshrc file (no more short cuts or alias)
Then I installed command line tools for aquamacs. So now I type the
line below in terminal;
	aquamacs filename
Hope I got the right way to open a file with aquamacs. However, the
*scratch* still pops-up as usual. When I put (kill-buffer "*scratch*")
I get *Message* in another frame.
I also tried;
1.	open filename  (a file associated with aquamacs)
it opens up in aquamacs with the scratch in a tab.
2.	open -a /Applications/Aquamacs.app filename
still the same. No luck. If you think of other combinations please let
me know. As far as the things I tried; I haven't been able to do what
I intended to do.
Thanks-Harsha

On May 18, 2010, at 3:56 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> On May 18, 2010, at 3:41 PM, Harsha Attanayake wrote:
>
>> David,
>> Sorry about that. The command I type in terminal:
>> 	aqua filename &
>> I have an alias in my home directory in file .cshrc as
>> 	alias aqua 'open /Applications/Aquamacs.app/'
>> and works fine.
>
> Well, it obviously does _not_ work fine.
>
> The command above instructs your system to open two items.  The
> first is the application, and the second one is the file (using
> whatever application is bound to that file or file type).
>
> Look up the man page for "open" and you'll find a better way.  Look
> up the command-line tool for Aquamacs (Tools menu) and you'll find a
> great way.
>
>> When Aquamacs opens up it opens *scratch* in first tab and my file
>> in the second tab. Also, when I include (kill-buffer "*scratch*")
>> in Preference.el it opens *Message* in a separate frame (window)
>> and does not open scratch in a tab.
>
> Sounds logical to me.
>
>> Moreover, if I start up Aquamacs by double clicking the icon then
>> it opens a *scratch* frame. Then if I go on to open a file through
>> File>open file... it would open up in tab 2 and the scratch is
>> still there in tab 1.
>
> Yes, as intended.
>
> Even with the above fix, I'm not sure, of course, if the scratch
> buffer isn't shown in a tab, but I seem to recall that Emacs doesn't
> show it when a file is given as an argument to the application.  Let
> me know if fixing your open command helps; otherwise I'll dig and
> try to fix the bug.
>
> --
> http://aquamacs.org -- Aquamacs: Emacs on Mac OS X
> http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor