[OS X Emacs] Re: Environment variables and Aquamacs 2.0

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed May 26 15:02:37 EDT 2010

Greetings.

On 2010 May 26, at 19:16, David Reitter wrote:

> On May 26, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:
>
>> On 05/26/10 11:57 AM, David Reitter wrote:
>>>
>>> There is no need to use Environment.plist, especially not in 10.6 (this mechanism is obsolete).

Forgive me for butting in, but I'm curious about this remark.

>> That's interesting.  Do you have a reference or URL for that?  Thanks.
>
> Not at hand, sorry.  /etc/paths.   Do you know Google?

There may be some talking at cross-purposes here, but I don't think that /etc/paths has much relevance here (since it's simply a way of setting the system-wide default value for PATH).

Also, I don't think that the ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist mechanism is obsolete.  Although I can't find a specific reference for this (I'd have thought it would be in loginwindow documentation), the note at [1] gives this file as the canonical way of setting per-user session-wide environment variables.  That's dated late 2009, so we can take it that it's current for 10.6.

Slightly puzzled,

Norman

[1] http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPRuntimeConfig/Articles/EnvironmentVars.html

--