[OS X Emacs] Re: Environment variables and Aquamacs 2.0

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed May 26 15:44:09 EDT 2010

On May 26, 2010, at 3:02 PM, Norman Gray wrote:

> There may be some talking at cross-purposes here, but I don't think that /etc/paths has much relevance here (since it's simply a way of setting the system-wide default value for PATH).
>
> Also, I don't think that the ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist mechanism is obsolete.  Although I can't find a specific reference for this (I'd have thought it would be in loginwindow documentation), the note at [1] gives this file as the canonical way of setting per-user session-wide environment variables.  That's dated late 2009, so we can take it that it's current for 10.6.

Thanks.  I agree, we need to distinguish between (at least) two environment variables that tend to be set system-wide: PATH and MANPATH.   These seem to be typical environment variables to be set system-wide, and perhaps that's why there is a special, comfortable mechanism for setting them via /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d.

For other environment variables, there's environment.plist, or, in Aquamacs, ~/.bash_profile.

Either way, I'm concerned with fixing the bug in Aquamacs if there is any, and I would appreciate people's cooperation with that!