[OS X Emacs] Problems with org-mode

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Nov 11 23:23:24 EST 2010

On 11/11/10 Nov 11 -10:19 PM, David Reitter wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2010, at 7:33 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
>>
>> 2.  I have TRIED not to use auto faces, but I find that when I un-choose
>> the auto-faces check box (1) aquamacs does NOT prompt me to save options
>> (2) if I quit and restart the auto-faces check box comes back.
>
> That's unfortunate, and I'll look into it.
> Does turning off autofaces mode actually help?
>
> If it does, you should be able to turn it off by adding
>
> (aquamacs-autoface-mode 0)
>
> to your ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el file.
>

>> I have tried reading the manual about Aquamacs auto-faces and I confess
>> to not understanding at all how it relates to the standard emacs faces.
>> Is there some explanation of this somewhere that might help me grok it?
>> I also confess that I find emacs faces already more than sufficiently
>> confusing, without adding anything further to the mix! ;-)
>
> auto-faces defines some default faces specific to major modes, for instance in order to provide monospaced fonts for programming modes.
> It uses an Emacs mechanism (`face-remapping-alist') to replace the default faces in a buffer with the default face assigned for the mode.
>
> The mode-specific default faces are always named after the major mode.  For instance, org-mode will have a face called `org-mode-default'.
>
> I'd like to stress that this only affects the default face.  Other faces defined by the major mode (e.g., syntax highlighting = "font-locking") should not be affected.
>
> It works for me, by the way.  "DONE" is green.

OK, my bad.  I have just discovered what's wrong, and I believe that
it's an org-mode problem.  I had an org custom command for the day's
agenda, and when I use /that/ command, it gives me the bad faces.  If I
use the standard org-agenda entry point, I get the day's agenda with
good faces.

Sorry to lead you down the garden path, David.  Thanks (as always) for
your help.

best,