[OS X Emacs] faster aquamacs ?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 13:53:55 EST 2010

JC,

do you mean "start without customizations" from the Help->Diagnose menu?

To start without those, remove all of your own customizations (.emacs, Preferences.el, maybe even customizations.el, and all plugins).

Normally, customizations don't take long time to load, but if you (require 'everything) then things will slow down substantially.

Aquamacs has been optimized to load quickly and only load those extra packages when the according major mode is called.  For example, AUCTeX is not loaded until you open a .tex file.  Many users, however, load AUCTeX in their .emacs, which may delay the startup.  (AUCTeX is just an example here.)

- David