[OS X Emacs] faster aquamacs ?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Nov 30 19:16:01 EST 2010

Am 30.11.2010 um 19:45 schrieb David Reitter:

> You surely have Terminal.app...?

Well, it's part of Mac OS X...

> It behaves in the same way - I've just tried this.
> It is even smart enough to warn the user: "Closing this window will
> terminate the running processes: login, bash, BibDesk."

Well, it says so. But like dogs that bark too much it does not bite
and kill a bit.

>> Well, I use the *shell* buffer inside GNU Emacs and therefore
>> cannot see any sense in using anything else. I can kill that buffer
>> and its shell process – and no application I launched from this
>> dead shell dies. So my recommendation is to trash iTerm.
>
> That is seriously weird, because I can reproduce the killing of the
> spawned process in a *shell* (M-x shell) buffer.

Maybe you don't know a shell's concept of foreground and background
processes. Read the bash manual page (around line #2200, "JOB
CONTROL")! I have no problems with background when using either tcsh
or bash: they survive when their shell is killed.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities
in our air and water that are doing it.