[OS X Emacs] faster aquamacs ?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:29:38 EST 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>> It is even smart enough to warn the user: "Closing this window will terminate the running processes: login, bash, BibDesk."
>
> Well, it says so. But like dogs that bark too much it does not bite and kill a bit.

As I said previously, it does kill the process for me.
(And it does so for countless users who have reported this as a "bug" in Aquamacs, where another process is run via shell command (async), which is killed when the parent-Aquamacs is killed.)

>> That is seriously weird, because I can reproduce the killing of the spawned process in a *shell* (M-x shell) buffer.
>

> Maybe you don't know a shell's concept of foreground and background processes. Read the bash manual page (around line #2200, "JOB CONTROL")! I have no problems with background when using either tcsh or bash: they survive when their shell is killed.

A process started with the "&" syntax is killed when the window is closed (Terminal/iTerm), or when the *shell* buffer is killed in Emacs.
However, such a process survives when I exit the shell explicitly with "exit" or "logout".

Chances are that there is a configuration variable to customize this.

Over and out.