Re: [OS X Emacs] mapping for meta key…

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 19:22:21 EDT 2010

On Oct 3, 2010, at 6:33 PM, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> The reason they aren't simple is that they're hidden.  One needs to know where to look to find them or one needs to write to you on a mailing list.

The manual has a section "Aquamacs for Emacs Veterans".  It comes with Aquamacs.
The section points to the compatibility settings in the Wiki, which in turn contains the osx-key-mode command.
We could probably point that out directly in the manual, but very few people use Aquamacs without osx-key-mode.

> I appreciate what you're trying to do with aquamacs in making it more of a mac application.  That's not what I want, though.

That's fine.  Aquamacs' stated purpose is clearly not what you want.

In the past, I have usually recommended Carbon Emacs to users with your needs; however, this is de-supported now, and Emacs has long made the shift to version 23.
You might like compiling GNU Emacs 23.2 and using that (it's straightforward), and I think there are also some binaries of the development version (available in Git or Bzr) for you to download.

I see, however, that people who first state they'd like vanilla Emacs behavior, end up coming back with complaints about one feature or another that Aquamacs provides.  Fonts, printing, packaged and configured AUCTeX or ESS, OSX key bindings, fullscreen mode - any subset of those, usually.

>  What I want is a mac resident application that can do mac things while behaving substantially like all of the other emacsen I use daily.

Well, I see consistent growth in the user numbers of Aquamacs (actual usage statistics - see Aquamacs website, then: development), and I see that there is less and less interest in Emacs over the years, according to Google searches (use Google Trends, "Emacs").

The real competitors to Aquamacs are Eclipse, XCode and some Mac-like editors like TextWrangler (etc).

>  I'm not sure which approach has a higher market demand but it seems to me that it should be possible to provide both.

As pointed out, the feature set is not that clear cut.  However, Aquamacs has a clear mission, purpose and audience, and that strategy has been reasonably successful.

On Oct 3, 2010, at 6:35 PM, K. Richard Pixley wrote:

> Er... what's the "right" way to conditionalize my .emacs so that the aquamacs stuff is only loaded for aquamacs?  (That might belong in http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AquamacsEmacsCompatibilitySettings too).

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CustomizeAquamacs

Under "Identifying Aquamacs".

The other suggestion you got will work too.