[OS X Emacs] On Aquamacs 2.2, preview-latex images go to pdf, and not to screen

Jim Wise jwise at draga.com
Wed Apr 6 10:52:36 EDT 2011

Michael Braun <braunm at MIT.EDU> writes:

> Hi!  I just installed Aquamacs 2.2, and I'm having a problem with the
> preview-latex images.  Whenever I do a C-c C-p C-d (or similar), all of the
> preview images end up in a single pdf file, as opposed to being displayed in
> the document.  In this pdf file, each separate image is it's own, tightly
> cropped page.  At the end of the latex output, I do see:
>
> Preview-LaTeX exited as expected with code 1 at Tue Apr  5 16:51:28
> LaTeX: LaTeX found no preview images
>
> but there are no images embedded in the Aquamacs display.
>
> I am sure there is a variable or configuration file that needs to be
> modified, but I've gone through the auctex and preview-latex documentation,
> as well as the mailing lists, and I have no idea where to start debugging.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm experiencing similar, and googling suggests this is an
incompatibility between the released versions of AucTeX's preview-latex
and newer versions of ghostscript (I have 9.01).

The two things to try are:

  a.) install a newer version of AucTeX manually, and load it in your
      emacs startup

or

  b.) install an older version of ghostscript

b.) is less work, a.) is a longer term solution.  Presumably, this will
be fixed in a newer Aquamacs version (and you should undo a.) at that
point, if that's the route you chose).

--
				Jim Wise
				jwise at draga.com