[OS X Emacs] On Aquamacs 2.2, preview-latex images go to pdf, and not to screen

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:31:38 EDT 2011

On Apr 6, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Michael Braun wrote:

> No, I'm sorry but deleting that file did not work.

And I presume you restarted Aquamacs afterwards.
In that case, the source of your problems is elsewhere.

> Regarding the previous reply, can you please tell me exactly what I need to do to remove the "old" version of AucTeX and replace it?  I am having some trouble finding where to remove and re-install emacs packages in Aquamacs, and how to confirm which version is installed.

Aquamacs already comes with the latest released AUCTeX version, and, given that you deleted the .elc file, it also comes with a patch to support GS 9.0.1.

You can install any other AUCTeX version into ~/Library/Application Support/Aquamacs Emacs/.
However, AUCTeX, in Aquamacs, has been adapted somewhat to run smoothly on the Mac and within Aquamacs, without further configuration.  If you delete the AUCTeX within the Aquamacs application bundle, you will lose those benefits.

> I have ghostscript 8.71 installed.  I did try installing 9.01 from MacPorts, but I hate MacPorts (slows down my computer, hard to maintain compatibility with other files, etc).  I could try installing gs 9.0.1 again, but it sounds like that is the cause of some of the problems.  But the problem should not be due to a difference between gs 8.71 and gs 9.0.1.  It just seems like preview-latex doesn't know to send the images to ghostscript (the screen), and not the pdf file.

I'm mildly surprised that you get a PDF file in the first place.  I was under the impression that the preview mechanism used Ghostscript to generate raster images (png? tiff?) rather than PDFs.  Perhaps there's a bug in AUCTeX, and/or installing the latest Ghostscript would help.
It might be worth checking if the latest MacTeX distribution has it.

- David