[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 2.2 .emacs.el fails after OS X 10.6 upgrade

Emil Marceta emarceta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 22:53:44 EDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

After upgrading to the OS X 10.6.7 from OS X 10.5 I'm experiencing the
following problem:
The ~/.emacs.el fails to load and produces the following error in the
minibuffer: "Symbol's function definition is void: :name", and after
clicking on the frame the next message is "<ns-application-activated>
is undefined".

So far I've tried:
 * removing the  preferences in ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs
 * reinstalling Aquamacs 2.2
 * rebuilding from the nightly build

If I start Aquamacs from the command line using the command :
/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs -q -load .emacs.el
then it works fine (this is how I'm using it now).

If I start ifrom the dock or as command line
/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs it fails.

So in the first case the .emacs.el loads fine and everything is
working. In the second case the .emacs.el breaks somewhere.

How can i debug this more to understand what is going on?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
emil