[OS X Emacs] Accessing config "." files and other files that finder doesn't normally see

Stefan Vollmar vollmar at nf.mpg.de
Sun Aug 28 16:13:20 EDT 2011

Dear Rob,

I assume you use A-O (same as "Open" from the File menu) to open files in Aquamacs? If you use this Mac-specific way of opening files, you have the same constraints as in other applications: initially, "."-files and certain directories will not be accessible.
However, there are two shortcuts that will solve these problems (at least on Snow Leopard):

A-Shift-.  : this will toggle listing dot-files in the current directory
A-Shift-G  : a dialog appears where you can type a path like "/tmp"

Another method altogether would be to use

C-x C-f

the "traditional" method to navigate directories in Emacs - in the directory listing, scroll to the line containing the desired file and press return (you can also left-click on a file name, but that will create another frame in addition to loading the file).

Hope this helps.
Warm regards,
 Stefan