[OS X Emacs] Multiple monitor primitives

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 10:25:17 EST 2011

On Dec 6, 2011, at 9:46 AM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:

> Well, I don't know what's out there, so that's why I am asking.
> Other things that I'd like to see...  Some frame buffers (I mean
> that in the video card and/or X11 sense rather than emacs lingo)
> are split across 2 monitors.  Emacs notices this, probably from
> hinting from the window manager.

Well, the way you put it, applications would interact with the periphery at a pretty low level.  That is not the case.

> So, it seems like it might be
> quite easy to open a new frame on the opposite monitor.

It's a continuous coordinate system, with 0,0 being the top left (or was it top bottom?) of the main screen (the one where the menu bar is).   You can simply specify 'top and 'left with pixel values as frame parameters for the new frame, and it will open in the desired position.

Aquamacs also has Emacs functions that will tell you the available screen areas (excluding the Dock, etc) - see `display-usable-bounds'.  You need to identify the screen via an existing frame handle, though.  See also `display-screens'